Today we are kicking-off a fun new series in which we spotlight some of our favorite interior designers. Our first featured designer is Alex Kaehler of Alexandra Kaehler Design. Alex is based out of Chicago and offers full-service residential interior design as well as e-design. Read on for a Q&A with her and inspiring photos of the beautiful interiors she has created.
Q: How would you describe your design sense/style/aesthetic?
A: Eclectic, how boring is that? There's nothing I love more than combining things that don't naturally match.
Q: How did you get into design?
A: I worked in marketing out of college hoping it would be a great fit of creative and business, but it turns out it didn't fill that need at all. So while I was there I started a blog and ended up writing about design 99% of the time (this was back in 2010 before Pinterest popularity). So I left my job and went back to design school!
Q: What do you do when you have a creative block?
A: Scroll through Pinterest and Instagram, there is so much to see!
Q: What keeps you sane?
A: Attempting to have some sort of balance - time at work, time at home with my daughter and husband, time alone. It all recharges me.
Q: What helps you stay organized?
A: Lists, lists and more lists. Also I love electronic sticky notes, they store my entire life.
Q: Are you a morning or night person?
A: I joke that I'm a mid-day person. I'm happy first thing in the morning, but not if it's before 7am.
Q: What's on your nightstand?
A: One book I'm currently reading and a pile of books that are up next!
Q: No home is complete without...
A: A dog
Q: What's a color you never tire of?
Q: What is your go-to pillow size?
A: 24" square
1. No-regrets home splurge: Art, if you buy things you love, it will always tell a story in your home. Also, a super comfortable sofa!
2. Favorite Arianna Belle pillows:
- Olive Green Velvet - these are such a beautiful backdrop for just about any pattern - a floral, an animal print, a geometric.
- Betwixt Water - I love the texture of this one, there's something so cozy about it.
- Anshun Paprika and Blue - I'm such a sucker for a floral, especially this one. It gives you so many beautiful colors to work with - would be so good paired with an animal print too.
3. Luxury candle: Baies from Diptyque
4. Flower: Peonies, so basic but they're so good
5. Travel destination: Nantucket
6. Go-to paint color: White Dove, it's the perfect blank canvas for amazing art and textiles.
7. Guilty pleasure: Pizza...at least once a week
8. Everyday outfit: Jeans, boots and a great sweater. It's my Chicago uniform.
9. Design tip: Buy things you truly love.
To learn more about Alex, visit her website and social media profiles:
Recently we had the honor of seeing our pillows featured in the print magazine Style at Home, as part of a story showcasing the chic home of interior designer Sarah Walker. She had transformed the living room and other spaces within the main floor as part of the One Room Challenge. Below is a look:
I love how Sarah combined various patterns without making the space feel overwhelming by differing the scale and sticking to a consistent color palette.
The perfect coffee table accessories: a beautiful tray, a luxury candle, an organic element and fresh flowers.
The classic Leopard Velvet pillow adds the perfect touch of animal print.
The metallic Kubus Argent pillows on the two accent chairs are a luxurious accent.
The clear acrylic ghost chairs are a modern complement to the rustic wood table.
A colorful fresh floral arrangement makes a beautiful dining table centerpiece.
The magazine feature:
Shop the Look
photographs of Sarah's home by Larry Arnal
Today I'm sharing with you a couple of favorites from the portfolio of the Dallas based decorating firm, The Interior Stylist. Owner Brooke Cariker Inabnett, creates sophisticated spaces with an emphasis on clean lines layered with modern, personalized touches.
For more, head on over to her website!
Shop the Look
So grateful that our Leopard Velvet pillow is in the pages of a magazine I have absolutely loved since it came out years ago and really deepened my passion for decorating and design –Domino!! See it in the spread featuring my friend (and cover girl!) Paloma Contreras’s beautiful Texas home – in the guest bedroom and in the living room.
Professional photographs by Brittany Ambridge for Domino