Today we are kicking-off a fun new series in which we spotlight some of our favorite interior designers. Our first featured designer is Alex Kaehler of Alexandra Kaehler Design. Alex is based out of Chicago and offers full-service residential interior design as well as e-design. Read on for a Q&A with her and inspiring photos of the beautiful interiors she has created.
Q: How would you describe your design sense/style/aesthetic?
A: Eclectic, how boring is that? There's nothing I love more than combining things that don't naturally match.
Q: How did you get into design?
A: I worked in marketing out of college hoping it would be a great fit of creative and business, but it turns out it didn't fill that need at all. So while I was there I started a blog and ended up writing about design 99% of the time (this was back in 2010 before Pinterest popularity). So I left my job and went back to design school!
Q: What do you do when you have a creative block?
A: Scroll through Pinterest and Instagram, there is so much to see!
Q: What keeps you sane?
A: Attempting to have some sort of balance - time at work, time at home with my daughter and husband, time alone. It all recharges me.
Q: What helps you stay organized?
A: Lists, lists and more lists. Also I love electronic sticky notes, they store my entire life.
Q: Are you a morning or night person?
A: I joke that I'm a mid-day person. I'm happy first thing in the morning, but not if it's before 7am.
Q: What's on your nightstand?
A: One book I'm currently reading and a pile of books that are up next!
Q: No home is complete without...
A: A dog
Q: What's a color you never tire of?
Q: What is your go-to pillow size?
A: 24" square
1. No-regrets home splurge: Art, if you buy things you love, it will always tell a story in your home. Also, a super comfortable sofa!
2. Favorite Arianna Belle pillows:
- Olive Green Velvet - these are such a beautiful backdrop for just about any pattern - a floral, an animal print, a geometric.
- Betwixt Water - I love the texture of this one, there's something so cozy about it.
- Anshun Paprika and Blue - I'm such a sucker for a floral, especially this one. It gives you so many beautiful colors to work with - would be so good paired with an animal print too.
3. Luxury candle: Baies from Diptyque
4. Flower: Peonies, so basic but they're so good
5. Travel destination: Nantucket
6. Go-to paint color: White Dove, it's the perfect blank canvas for amazing art and textiles.
7. Guilty pleasure: Pizza...at least once a week
8. Everyday outfit: Jeans, boots and a great sweater. It's my Chicago uniform.
9. Design tip: Buy things you truly love.
To learn more about Alex, visit her website and social media profiles:
Shop the Look
Doing this makes it so much simpler to sort through all the options and easily decide what will and won't work. Of course, it doesn't have to be an exact color match and you can bring in as many neutral pieces as you'd like, but by using the pillow palette as an overall guide, you'll ensure you are creating a cohesive look.
You can also do this with a piece of art or a rug, however what I love about pillows is that they're small enough to take along with you when you go out shopping for other pieces (tip: remove the insert and take only the cover).
Interior design by Shay Geyer of IBB Design
Here's what I changed:
- the purple pillows for the rust pillows
- the purple floral pillow for the blue & orange floral pillow
- the arrangement on my dining table
- the art
I also added a couple of small objects like white pumpkins and fall candles to make it cozy and inviting. I'm always amazed at how a few simple swaps can significantly change the look and feel of a space. I'll be sharing this year's fall update on Instagram in the coming weeks.
Shop the Look
In the next post we'll be doing a round-up of fall decor pieces that you can incorporate to quickly transform the look of your home including throws, art, arrangements, and other accents. Stay tuned!